Saturday, November 17, 2007

Reflections on walking, new study



After making it the whole 2.6 miles yesterday, today in hindsight it's amazing how much easier it was then I thought (having told myself if I get to a certain street I'm almost there and reaching it sooner than expected), and I'm still a little sore today. I guess I just have to keep it up, hoping to do so.

I read a study done in the UK that claims initials effect grades and baseball. Supposedly people whose first names start with the letters denoting the bad grades C and D do worse in school than others, and baseball players with either initials starting with K strike out (with a K symbolizing a strike) more often.

I think that's hysterical, and didn't effect me luckily as a D (for Danielle) I did great in school, and enjoyed most subjects in highschool and college. Remembering back to high school, the top two students (valedictorian and salutatorian, both of whom coincidenally were female) had C names. I don't follow baseball well enough to think of tons of examples, but I know Babe Ruth holds, beyond other things, a record for striking out.

With my friend, David as a new teacher, I've learned so much about students and so much of academic learning involves what preparation one gets and how, not to mention the encouragement and involvement of parents like this woman I photographed teaching her son, in two languages about geography.

Also, I think it's funny that so many studies focus on negative outcomes (bad grades, strikeouts) and not positive (good grades and home runs). Lastly the study didn't mention students with the F initial, I realize some schools won't give out F's but surely enough must to make this trend apply if accurate, or perhaps they just forgot to study or include them. Oh well.

No comments: