Thursday, December 21, 2006

Hiring a Photojournalist for Your Wedding

I was on a wedding board recently where a bride posted a great question. I decided to answer it here, also.

Tanya inquired what would happen if a bride chose a newspaper photojournalist to photograph their wedding instead of someone who shot weddings exclusively.

My response:

Dear Tanya,

Thank you for an insightful question. Many photojournalists have entered the wedding field, shooting weddings full-or part-time, or making the transition from a photojournalist to a wedding photojournalist. The timing, people skills, and composition techniques can be similar in many ways. I am a photojournalist at The Pinnacle, in Hollister, and I also photograph weddings.

While every photographer is different, a photojournalist would not move people or objects or pose them for a news shot (though if a shot was for a feature story and/or portrait this might be done, with the knowledge and possible advance direction of his or her editor). A wedding photojournalist would take portraits "formals", or move objects if the job required.

Additionally, as a news photographer, unflattering photos may be taken purposefully to tell the whole story. An example would be at a sports event where injuries are not uncommon. I recently shot our local volleyball team's loss at the semi-finals. This was due to a key player twisting her ankle.

As it was a news event, I photographed her on the ground while help arrived (she was lead off the court with help and did not return to the game) and the girls' crying at their loss. Though I shot the whole game, my paper printed only these two photos:



































While sporting events are more likely to have injuries than weddings, someone hurting themselves (i.e. while dancing) is not an unheard of event for a wedding. In the former case, it is my job, as it is every photojournalist to keep shooting, in the latter, I, and many of my colleagues, would not shoot that particular moment.

Danielle Stolman

No comments: