Thursday, December 28, 2006

This is why I love my job

When I first started at The Pinnacle my boss told me one of the reasons he took the job of Publisher was to make a difference to the community, and to be able to do something to make it a better place. He, and all the reporters have told me they have received thanks in person and on the phone for their work.

It's starting to happen to me, also, as people have thanked me for the stories I've written, and the photos. People have thanked me for helping the public know their issue or business existed, or for highlighting something specific about them for the public.

One widow's husband died a few days before the issue in which photos I'd taken of him (in a story of him wrapping up his barbership practice after decades of service) came to print. She told me she placed a copy in his casket.

Today the two instructors I interviewed at Techniques Studio (which teaches life skills in addition to martial arts) came in in person to thank me for the story. To quote Daniel Recht, the director, "We really enjoyed the story and it seemed too impersonal to just thank you over the phone."

It really made my day and I had a fun time writing and photographing the story also.

By grappling blindfolded the students learn to trust their other senses:



The students learning about self confidence through storytime and role playing:

Before learning to throw the students practice controlled lifts:


You can read the whole story here.

No comments: