Monday, February 26, 2007

John McEnroe in the News

Last year, I was given the assignment of shooting some tennis players at a tournament and learned when I was there that John McEnroe was playing in his first doubles match in a decade. A big fan of his (I had seen him play at the U.S. Open when I was eleven) I stayed for his match as well, which he and his partner won. I love the look and intensity on his face.


One thing that struck me is that the whole stadium seemed to be egging him on. He walked out to "Bad to the Bone" and when he threw his racket down after a bad call the place was filled with cheers. When an equally bad call was made later, and McEnroe did nothing, I'm sure many of the boos that filled the stand were for that as well.


I'm so proud that he is now taking a stand on the fact that men and women should be paid the same at Wimbelton, which they know will be for the first time. A great athlete and all-around good guy in my book, happy belated birthday John. (He was 48 on Feb. 16.)

No comments: