Friday, February 09, 2007

Photos of the week (ending 02/09/07)

Both of my photo of the week selections from this week's Pinnacle involve kids. Photographing kids is always fun because after they forget you are there they are so expressive.

My first selection was from a story about families who have a child with autism. When I went to photograph Victoria and her son, Nathan, assignment in hand to photograph them just interacting as family members (as well as other family members if they were around), I didn't know what activities they would be engaging in. In a short hour, Nathan played outside, read a book, played with toys including a dinosaur and a train set, but kept coming back to his favorite the bubbles.

In this moment, he and his mom bond over the bubbles:


The second photo of the week was taken to go alongside a story of San Benito school districts working together to standardize math learning targets across the grades. I needed to find children using math visually, not just reading books, but counting money or something similar.

I was hoping to find something that would show that math can be fun at the younger grades, and I shot this among others.


I like the dichotomy of Maria looking so serious while she counts out her place holder cubes, while just a few desks away kids are picking out their squares with smiles on their faces.

No comments: