Thursday, January 18, 2007

Becoming one with the music

As House Photographer for JJ's Blues, I've photographed a lot of different musicians, many of whom play in several bands. (Hi Randy and Dennis!)

I shoot photos of the band as a group, two or three members jamming with each other, and individual musicians.

The job involves listening a lot, for solos, changes in tempo, and waiting for the moment when the musician and the music all come together so they are completely focussed with playing a specific note at that time.

A lot of my favorite pictures thus I think of the musician becoming one with the music. Here are two of my favorites.

In this one, "Gin" (as he prefers to be known) of Jake Mackey and the Muddy Suns looks serious and motivated as the drumsticks frame him and set a tempo around him.

This one I anticipated happening as I watched the musician, Max Cabello Jr. play. Maxx always puts the guitar just out of his reach at times during the show, behind his head, behind his back, this time it was just ahead of him, and as he reaches around his whole body was enveloped by the music and the mood.

JJ's owner, Johnnie Perkins, said he watched me photograph Maxx, saw the camera come up, and hoped I'd gotten just this particular second.

No comments: