Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Here's looking at you

One of the best parts of both my job as a photojournalist and as a wedding photojournalist is the opportunity to photograph people being themselves, often having fun, as part of the story of the day.

Today I had to photograph in an elementary school and as with many places where kids were around several thought they had to look at me and pose. In general, even if the story for the paper is a feature one a posed shot is too static to use (though, of course, stories often use mug shots as secondary art).

I really like camera unaware shots if they help tell the story, like this one of a street fair and a great collection of girls on the street having fun with their balloons. They probably didn't realize they were campaign balloons. Each girl is clearly doing her own thing different from her friends.


Noncamera aware shots look more natural even if it isn't posed per se. This little boy was clearly aware I was there, I can't make up my mind if he was nervous around cameras, or thought I was going to try to take one of his Capri Sun treats.


Nonposed shots can often tell a little story about the person. As Chloe concentrates on cutting the paper, with a serious expression (and a little tilt to help make it look like the big task it is to her), the moment comes alive.


This is not to say that posed shots can never convey a sense of story. This shot, from the same kindergarten shows two best friends who share the name Jacob, and their class pet Mr. Bear. I think the shot conveys both their friendship and how they relate to the bear.

No comments: