Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Musicians in Studio: Hoofbeat

On Sunday I got together with my friend Paul who is also in the newspaper business (layout). He's a serious amateur photographer, so when I spontaneously suggested breakfast and that we go shoot something he was all for it.

After stopping at The Original Pancake House, we weighed our options and decided to go to the studio space Paul is renting. It's in a place that rents out to many different musicians, and first I was just going to shoot Paul in studio.

From the second we got in, the walls were shaking from this great band who I would soon learn was called Hoofbeat. In long, loud pullsating songs, the band rocked the place, and when they finally rested, Paul took me over to meet them and see if they would let me shoot a few pics of them.

It turns out that I had already met the drummer, Keith, at JJ's and he was familiar with my work from the club. Keith, left, and Troy, right, posed for me. They look really mean here, but they aren't, I think they were going for edgy, which they are.

Some individual shots.

Troy, whose, screaming filled the room, and the hallway.


Joe, who looked so serious throughout.

Jason kept his eyes closed for most of it, he knew I was there, but barely in his concentration.

and finally Keith. Since there was no stage, I just got up and under the drums to shoot, which didn't phase him a bit.


The studio layout space was small, so I couldn't get all the guys in one shot, but here are two with two each in it.


Hoofbeat, you guys were great, I look forward to seeing you playing out of the studio sometime.

No comments: